It would be pretty cool if a place started out as a simple American-style omnivorous restaurant and quickly became the hottest new vegan restaurant chain in the south of England. Well, that‘This is exactly what happened with Oowee Vegan!
Oowee started life in 2016 as a pop-up sandwich shop in Bristol, which later became an American-style restaurant (Oowee Diner).
The original Oowee is not vegan, but the popularity of vegan items on its menu prompted its founders to begin developing a ‘vegan only‘ release of the brand in 2018.
They launched two all-vegan restaurants in Bristol the following year. And just like that, Oowee Vegan was born.
Is all Oowee vegan?
Oowee opened as a small take-out restaurant that quickly became infamous in Bristol for serving huge, decadent burgers. Expanding rapidly from those humble beginnings, the brand now includes the original Oowee Diner in Bristol and five separate Oowee Vegan locations in Bristol, London and Brighton.
Oowee Vegan opened its first vegan restaurant in London in Dalston in 2020, which launched ‘virtually‘ via Deliveroo before settling in its final location.
They now have two different locations in London (Dalston and Brixton), two in Bristol (Picton Street and Baldwin Street) and a restaurant in Brighton.
What exactly is Oowee?
In their own words, Oowee makes and serves “mind-blowing junk food” that comes “happens to be vegan”.
Oowee Vegan has recreated all of the original Oowee Diner favorites with plant-based ingredients so successfully they’ve won the Deliveroo title‘s Vegan Restaurant of the Year in 2019. And the phenomenal success via Deliveroo cemented the Oowee team’s commitment to being a 100% vegan brand from that point on.
On their website, Oowee Vegan proudly proclaims that they‘back on mission “revolutionize fast food” because they “believe that the future of food is plant-based”.
They want to create a chain of high street vegan restaurants loved by vegans and non-vegans alike – and judging by the growing number of venues and their Instagram following, it‘a plan that seems to be working.
What‘s on the Oowee Vegan menu?
The biggest problem you‘When ordering you will have to decide what to eat as there is so much to choose from. But herbivores everywhere will agree that‘This is a rather unusual and nice problem to have.
The people behind the brand are clearly aware of the menu conundrum, as they‘created a online quiz to help you decide what to get!
Oowee Vegan‘s menu is typical of a fast food chain in that it consists of vegan burgers, fries and sides, but‘That’s about where the similarity ends. Because all of their burgers, fries, and sides are jaw-dropping. Let‘Take a look at what they are…
There are three categories of Oowee vegan burgers: plant-based beef burgers, fried chicken‘n Burgers and Simplicity Burgers.
Plant-Based Beef Burgers
Oowee‘s Plant-based beef burgers are “grilled to perfection” and served with one of their signature house sauces in a freshly baked vegan roll. Choose from:
- classic burger
- Flamin‘ Hot beef
- The Smashburger
- The big VG
- The Big Oovee
This‘a difficult choice, but our ‘Top 3‘ Plant-Based Beef Burgers should be:
- classic burger – with relish, mustard, pickles and lettuce.
- The big VG – with garlic mayonnaise, smoked gouda, sweet pickled pink onions and lettuce.
- And The Big Oovee – with savory gravy, American cheese, hash brown, crispy fried onions, pickles and lettuce.
Fried chicken‘n Burgers
Oowee Vegan‘custom fried chick‘n is famous for its crispy coating of great flavor, which is seasoned with the string‘s own unique blend of 12 herbs n‘ spices. Choose from:
- Flamin‘ Hot giggle
- The chick on the other side
- The big Swiss bacon
- Cluckin BBQ‘ Sandwich
- The sneaky Clucker
Our favorite fried chicken‘n The burgers are:
- The big Swiss bacon – with baconaise, smoked gouda, vegan bacon, hash browns and lettuce.
- The sneaky Clucker – with savory sauce, American-style vegan cheese and lettuce.
Oowee Vegan is also for those looking for something lighter. Their Simplicity Burger patties are made with mushrooms and grilled rather than fried, making them low in saturated fat. Choose from:
The Sneaky Symple – with savory sauce, pickles and lettuce.
The chick on the nice side – with garlic mayonnaise, sweet pickled pink onions and lettuce.
The classic symple – with relish, mustard, pickles and lettuce.
Oowee Vegan has become famous for their Dirty Fries, so no visit is complete without them! Portions are large, so order as a meal for one or to share on the side. Choose from fries or waffle fries:
- Dirty Double Waffle Fries
- Dirty double fries
- Jalapeno Cheese Waffle Fries
- Jalapeno Cheese Fries
- Garlic Butter Waffle Fries
- Garlic Butter Fries
- Pot Butter Waffle Fries
- Pot Butter Fries
- cluckin‘ Waffle fries
- cluckin‘ fries
- Dirty Double Waffle Fries – topped with cheese sauce, savory sauce and crispy fried onions.
- Pot Butter Fries – drizzled with pot butter.
- cluckin‘ Waffle fries – with American sauce, mozzarella, fried chick‘n and spring onions.
Chick‘n & Popcorn
A great way to add some Oowee‘s famous chick‘n to your order if you do not‘don’t fancy a burger. Choose from:
- Popcorn Chick‘not – seasoned crispy coated chick bites.
- Chick‘n Tenders – 3 or 5 strips of chick’n in crispy breadcrumbs seasoned with a dip.
Accompaniments and Desserts
In case you‘are still hungry or prefer to prepare a meal with lots of small pieces — you‘I still have the choice between side dishes and a vegan dessert!
- Mac n‘ Cheese – made with Oowee Vegan‘signature cheese sauce and topped with crispy fried onions.
- onion rings
- toddlers (if you order them for delivery, you can warm them up in your oven so they‘very hot !)
- Waffle fries
- Dips (made fresh daily) – Dirty Sauce, Korean BBQ, Garlic Mayo, Baconaise, Buffalo Hot Sauce, BBQ, Habanero Mango, Sriracha Mayo and Hot Mayo.
- sauce pot
- churros – a generous portion of churros coated in cinnamon sugar and served with a chocolate sauce or Biscoff.
Shakes and drinks
Oowee Vegan offers the usual selection of non-alcoholic drinks, as well as Dr Pepper, Gingeralla and Budvar beer, but it‘s the shakes that vegans are likely to be excited about! Choose from:
- vanilla shake
- Popcorn Shake
- chocolate shake
- Strawberry Shake
- Shake Biscoff
- Oreo Shake
Limited Edition Burgers
Occasionally, Oowee Vegan offers special limited-edition burgers for a short time only, so keep an eye out on social media for announcements. Recently they launched the Ocean Burger, a collaboration with Omni Foods which was marketed as “most realistic f!sh burger on the market”.
Available at Oowee Vegan locations between July 11 and August 14 of this year, the Ocean Burger was a crispy breaded Omni F!sh tenderloin served with tartar sauce, iceberg lettuce and topped with mashed peas mint in a soft brioche bun.
Will it be back as a permanent menu item? Let‘I hope so !
What is Oowee “chicken” made of?
Oowee Vegan‘Fried chicken‘n is handmade to a secret recipe and seasoned with their own unique blend of 12 herbs n‘ spices. Every day their hero sauces are freshly made by their chefs and the burger buns are made to order by local bakers.
Where can I find Oowee?
Currently, Oowee Vegan has two locations in London, two in Bristol and one in Brighton:
Oowee Vegan Bristol
- 65 Baldwin Street, BS1 1QZ (the birthplace of Oowee Vegan!)
- 54 Picton Street, Montpellier, BS6 5QA
Oowee Vegan London
- 50 Stoke Newington Road, N16 7XB (Dalston)
- 91 – 92 Brixton Village Market, SW9 8PR (Brixton)
Oowee Vegan Brighton
- 23 Market Street, BN1 1HH
Where will the next Oowee Vegan be?
The Oowee team are on a mission to spread the plant-based brand across the UK, so vote for an Oowee Vegan near you through their website!
If you can’t get enough of vegan burgers, don’t miss the vegan options at Burger King!